A Different Way To Cook Chicken Curry ..
Alleppey or Alappuzha in Kerala is not only known for its backwaters and houseboats but also for the freshwater fishes that the placid backwaters provide. Also you would find a hint of coconut in most of their dishes.
One such dish which I have been absolutely loving for the last few years is the Alleppey Chicken curry. It tastes so good with the richness of coconut cream and cashew paste.
Best goes with Appam/Ghee rice.
- Coconut Oil – 2 tbsp.
- Onions – 3 med (Sliced)
- Curry Leaves – 10 – 15
- Green Chilies – 3 – 4 (Slit)
- Ginger – garlic Paste – 2 tbsp.
- Tomatoes – 2 med
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp.
- Pepper Powder – 1 tsp.
- Coriander Powder – 2 tbsp.
- Grama Masala – 1 tsp.
- Chicken – 700 gms (Curry cut)
- Coconut milk – 1 cup
1. Heat up some coconut oil in a pan
2. Add the onions and saute till they become translucent
3. Add the curry leaves and slit green chilies and sauté for a couple of minutes.
4. Add the Ginger garlic paste and sauté till the raw smell disappears
5. Add the Tomatoes, Cook for couple of minutes.
7. Add the chicken pieces into it and stir well to coat the chicken with the spices.
6. Add in the spices one by one, and cook for 5- 7 minutes until oil starts separating
8. Add sufficient water for the chicken to cook
10. Pour in the thick coconut milk and Simmer for couple of minutes more
9. Cover and cook in low-med flame until Chicken becomes tender
11. Serve hot with Appam/Ghee rice